The Parks and Recreation Department website does not contain data intended for use by investors, audited financial statements can be found on the SEC EMMA website or by visiting the Finance Directors page at Yorkmaine.org


Our Current Brochure



What are your office hours?

The office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30am until 4:30pm.

Where are you located?

We are located at the Grant House/Goodrich Park, 200 US Route 1 (or for GPS:  200 Blue Star Memorial Highway), in York, Maine.

This is how you create an online registration account:

1) Click on the “Register Online” button.

2) Click on the New Account link and enter your personal information and enter each family member.  When you’ve finished, click “Save”. Please Note: If you are registering a child for a program, please use your own information when filling out the first line of the online registration account, NOT the information of the child you wish to register for an activity.   The child’s information can be completed on the second line marked  “Other Account Members (Spouse, Children, & Other Dependents)”

How do I register online for an activity?

Once your account has been established, registration for programs and activities is easy:

1) Click the “Register Now” button on your home page.

2) Select the activity that you would like to enroll in.   You can choose to type in a portion of the program name you’d like to find, or you can select from one of the colored divisions shown on the left.

3) Click on the “Register” button if you wish to register for the activity.

4) Next select the participant name for registration by clicking on the grey box with their name in it.  Next hit “Continue” to process the registration.

5) If you would like to include other registrations, select the “Close and Continue Browsing” button.  If you’re ready to check out, click on the “Begin Checkout” button.

6) Confirm your activity name, date and time, enrollee and price.

7) Click “Continue” to proceed with payment.  Enter your credit card information and click “Continue”. This system accepts Visa, Mastercard and Discover either credit or debit cards.

Please Note: The name and address must match those that are on file with your credit company.

7) You may print your receipt for the online registration. A copy of your registration receipt will remain on file and you can access it by clicking on the “My Account” link to the left of the screen.

How many accounts should each family have?

We recommend that each family establish one account. Create the account in the name of a Head of Household and then add all family member names to the account after it is established (see next question).

How many family members can I add to my account?

You may add as many members into your account as necessary.

Can I view activities without registering?

You can always browse through the activities without registering. Click the “Register Now” button and look at all the activities that are offered.

What do I do if I forgot my password?

From the login screen, click the the “Forgot Password” box. Enter your email address and click on “Continue”.  The system will email you a link to reset your password.  If you are having trouble receiving the reset email, contact our office during normal business hours and we will help reset your account for you.

I’m trying to register my child for a program online and I’m unable to because their grade is wrong.  What should I do?

After logging into your Rec1 account, click on the “My Account” link to the left of your screen.  There you can edit any information and add your child’s grade.  To the right of the family member’s name you will see an “Edit” link.  You should check to see if your child’s grade has been entered.  If not, you must do so in order to register for programs with grade restrictions.

Can I register a friend’s child for a program?

Yes, you can.  You may do so either by phone, or by adding that child to your online account.  You will need to know the child’s full name, date of birth and grade in order to add them to your account.

What will happen if I try to register for an activity that is fully enrolled?

Your name will be placed on a waiting list to be contacted in the event that a space in that class/activity opens up or additional classes are added.  If a space opens for the class, or another class is added, you will be contacted immediately by either email or phone.

I was placed on the waitlist for a program.  How likely is it that a spot will open up? How would I be notified?

Though there is no way to predict whether or not a spot will open up, we highly recommend always adding your name to a program’s wait list.  If an opening should occur, we contact people on our wait list immediately by, phone and email, in the order their name was added to the wait list.

What forms of payment will you take?

We accept Visa, Master Card and Discover Card, both debit and credit cards, as well as checks or cash.

Do you offer scholarships?

Yes, Stonewall Kitchen and York Community Service Association in conjunction with the York Parks and Recreation Department and York Hospital offers a scholarship program for needy children. These scholarships are available to serve our core programs and do not include special events. Families needing assistance should pick up a scholarship application at the Parks and Recreation office. Proof of residency is required at the time of application. All requests are confidential. No child in our community is ever turned away from participating in our core programs.

Can I view my transaction history and print out my past receipts online?

Yes, from the date on which your online account is established. The “My Account” feature allows you to view a detailed list of your past transactions. Just login, click the “My Account” button, and select the program(s) providing transaction history.

How can I view a schedule of my family’s upcoming scheduled activities?

The My Account feature allows you to view your family’s scheduled activities. Just login, and click on the My Account button to view a listing.

Can I reserve a spot in a program?

No.  We do not reserve spots.  In order to secure a spot in our programs you must register and pay for the program.  Registrations are accepted on a first-come-first-served basis and payment must be made at the time of registration.

If I have to cancel from a program, will I receive a refund?

If you need to cancel a program, you must notify us no less than one week prior to the first class.

We do not give refunds after the start of the program.

How do I know if a program is cancelled due to the weather?

If we have to cancel a program we will either email or call participants and post it on our FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/YorkMaineThe FaceBook feed can also be found on our home page.

Do I pay any added fees to register online?

No! We have changed to Rec1 and no convenience fee or any additional fee is charged to you for online registration. It’s simple – it’s free!

Do you keep my credit card information on file?

No, we do not, nor can we, retain any of your credit card information .  If you register online or call our offices you will need to provide your credit card information each time.

How do I know if my registration was successful?

After submitting your payment, you will immediately receive a receipt containing your merchant transaction number.  You can also always access “My Account” (a link to the left of your screen) and see a listing of your registrations.  Here you can also reprint any receipts you’d like.

Should I create a username and password?

Yes, you must create a username and password to use your Rec1 account.  If you’ve registered over the phone, your username is automatically defaulted as the email address you provided.  If you’ve registered with us before, please click on the “Forgot Password” link to set your password for your account.  Please DO NOT create a new account.  If you’re having trouble, please contact our office and we will assist you.

How do I change the information in my profile that appears after I log in?

Click on “My Account” to the left of your screen after you’ve logged in.  You may edit any of your account information there, including email, phone, address, and account members by clicking any of the “Edit” links available.

Is Rec1 a secure site?

Yes!  All credit card information supplied by users is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.


Does York participate in the Maine Healthy Beaches water testing program?

Yes.  Water is tested at each of our beaches weekly.  More information about the Maine Healthy Beaches and all test results can be found on the Maine Healthy Beaches site here:  http://www.mainecoastdata.org/public/default.aspx

When we were at the beach, we noticed an ADVISORY notice posted there.  What does this mean?

Beach advisories are posted according to:

  • Results obtained from bacteria water quality samples exceed State and Federal standards.
  • Conditions at sample site indicating the possible presence of disease-causing organisms.

Also, a decision to close or post beaches is based upon a tool for beach manager to use for ongoing management decisions. (Risk-Based Assessment Matrix here:  http://www.mainecoastdata.org/public/maine_healthy_beaches_files/RiskMatrix04.pdf)

These advisories are recommendations to the public to avoid water contact activities at the beach until further analyses reveal safe conditions.

Beaches are not “closed” simply on the exceedance of the bacterial count, but on the Risk Assessment Matrix factors which includes bather numbers, time of last rainfall, and history of known problems. This is a coordinated decision between the Beach Manager, Program Coordinator, and State Epidemiologist.

The town/State Park beach managers may use their own discretion to actively close a beach to the public. The municipality/State Park must notify the Maine Healthy Coastal Beaches Program of their intentions to close or put up an advisory at a particular beach by indicating this on the on-line database.

When are parking meters in effect?

From May 15th through October 15th annually between the hours of 8:00am and 10:00pm daily.

What is the cost of the parking meters?

Meters accept credit /debit cards and cash at the rate of $2.00 per hour.

Why are York’s beaches posted as “Smoke Free”?

Since 2010, York’s beaches have been posted as smoke free.  In a non-binding resolution, selectmen declared a tobacco-free zone on public beaches. They cited reasons of health and litter. Cigarette butts are the number-one item picked up in beach cleanups. The ban is a request, not a law.

May I hold my wedding ceremony in the Hartley Mason Reservation Park?

Yes, wedding ceremonies may be held in the Park. Please call Jeffrey McConnell, Trustee (207) 363-5494 for details and costs. There is limited parking, therefore transportation to and from the ceremony will need to be arranged.

May I hold my wedding ceremony in the Short Sands/Ellis Park and reserve their gazebo?

Yes, wedding ceremonies may be held at Short Sands/Ellis Park.  Please contact Corey Hathorne at YB210@ymail.com to reserve the gazebo.

May I hold my wedding ceremony at any of York’s public Beaches or Parks?

Yes, small group ceremonies are allowed though we do not reserve any space or time for your ceremony.  We do not allow set-up of, canopies, tents, or amplified music.  Chairs are allowed for elderly and handicapped only.  We ask that you not block off or cordon off any part of the park or beach or any parking spots.  You must obey all parking regulations and Town Ordinances and State Law.  Please note that others will likely watch your wedding.  If you require more for your special day, you may want to consider a private venue.  If you have a large number of guests you will have to submit a Special Event Permit through the Town Manager’s Office.

Can I remove seaweed from the beaches?

Yes.  Some people harvest the seaweed to fertilize their gardens.  As long as you remove seaweed only, no rocks or sand, it is permissible.  Should you wish to drive onto the beach to collect seaweed in the off-season, permission is needed from the Parks and Recreation Department (207) 363-1040.

When are the fireworks?

The Town utilizes a Special Event permit process and all authorized special events, including fireworks, are listed on their calendar following approval. http://www.yorkmaine.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PbvCXxPxAfc%3d&tabid=40&mid=1418

Can I see a listing of all community events?

Yes.  The Town utilizes a Special Event permit process and all authorized special events, including community events are listed on their calendar following approval. http://www.yorkmaine.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PbvCXxPxAfc%3d&tabid=40&mid=1418



Here is a link to the MSDS sheet for the chemical(s) used for spraying against ticks and mosquitos.